Emmanuel Boateng scored his first hat-trick to inflict Ernesto Valverde’s first league defeat as Barcelona boss
On Sunday, the unexpected happened. Barcelona’s undefeated La Liga run was halted in their penultimate game against lowly rated Levante.
In a remarkable game which ended 5-4, it was the Ghanaian striker Emmanuel Boateng who stole the show by scoring a brilliant hat-trick.
In his debut season in the Spanish top-flight, Boateng has netted his maiden career treble, become the first player in over a decade to score three goals against Barcelona and also the first Ghanaian to score against both Real Madrid and Barcelona in the same season.
But what more do you know about the 21-year-old? Joy Sports helps you with it.
1. Boateng was scouted by current Asante Kotoko gaffer Paa Kwesi Fabin during his days at Osei Kyeretwei Secondary School [OKESS]. Sulley Muntari is a product of the school.
2. Boateng didn’t play in the Ghana Premier League. The only club he played for in Ghana was second-tier side Charity Stars.
3. Boateng featured for the Ghana national under-17 team in 2013.
4. He was part of the Ghana national under-20 national team, who played at the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand. He scored one goal in the competition.
5. He joined Rio Ave in 2013, after impressing on trials from Charity Stars, He made 13 appearances.
6. On 7 July 2015, Boateng and his Rio Ave teammate Ernest Ohemeng made a permanent move to fellow league team Moreirense. He was mainly used as a substitute during his first season before he started to feature more regularly during his second.
7. The highlight of his two-year stay at Moreirense was his brace against Benfica which helped the club clinch the Portuguese top-flight in the 2016-17 season.
8. On 16 August 2017, Boateng signed a four-year deal with Levante. With his hat-trick on Sunday, he joins David Barral and Rigano as the only Levante players to score three goals in a single match in the team’s history.